Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Caesar's Fears

So far in Uganda, I have learned that my host father Caesar only fears five things.
1)Snakes
2)Crocodiles
3)Bees
4)Water (Victoria/Nile, not bottled)
5) Swings

Anyways, rafting on the Nile on Saturday was amazing. Beautiful and exhausting as well. I got some nice sunburn and tasted the most delicious pineapple I've ever had. Also, 0ur raft only flipped 2x during the 30 km journey through 12 large rapids.

Yesterday was my farewell dinner at Skills Plus. The other FSD interns were invited and we all were sporting our best "African" garb (yes, the Kanzu was worn). I was asked to give a speech, answered two questions by the chief financier (most annoying and most pleasurable experiences at Skills Plus), listened to many Ugandans talk, and ate very good Ugandan food.

The kind old lady who lives at the organization (85!) gave me a mat she had sewn personally by hand. People here are too kind.

In other news, while wearing the Kanzu i don't fear to move at night alone. People still stare, but it's more in awe. "Very smart" whispers and not whispers follow me as I footed around Bugembe in my Kanzu.

Additionally, I recently set minesweeper records at all levels on the new computer. My legacy at Skills Plus?

Witchdoctor session canceled. Otherwise things are moving. Don't know if I can update before leaving, but I will try. Expect an update once I safely (I hope) arrive back in the U.S.

Did you know "safari" means "journey" in Swahili? Well, my next safari begins Saturday. The days are moving...

3 comments:

Teresa said...

safari means journey in arabic too; it's a small world after all. i cant wait to see your face.

Unknown said...

I want to go to Africa.

Teresa said...

I MISS YOUR BLOG JBK. but it's okay because i would rather have the tangible you.