Wednesday, July 30, 2008

31 Cent Beer?

So this past week I heard all about the Agricultural Show taking place in Jinja and on Saturday I got to see it for myself. The verdict? It's pretty much like a county fair, though not as much popcorn. There was cotton candy, creepy old men, a large (and scary looking) swing ride, loud music, and cheap beer. 500 Ush Beer is hard to beat (500 Ush = about 31 cents). There was also some Guinness (WTF?), so I felt compelled to try. Poor choice. Apparently Guinness in Uganda is a bit different from that in the U.S.

Another highlight of the show was that while waiting to hear the Ugandan musician "Chameleon", I got to see a Ugandan of Indian descent (my term) do a Michael Jackson imitation on stage. Apparently this is common in Uganda? And the guy doing the dancing is supposedly really well known? This country never ceases to amaze me.

Pool Update: Things have improved. I corrected my mini slump (4 days, 4 losses) and won 3, lost 2 on Friday. Then on Monday I won 2 and lost 1. Lately, I've been pretty busy and haven't been able to go everyday. A shame really.

Other things I've learned/observed:

Getting on the wrong bus just means that you get an hour and half tour of a random, remote village before returning to town (all for only 800 Ush!)

It is normal for Ugandans to have 2-3 (sometimes 5!) minute conversations at a distance of 40-60 feet. Somehow they can all hear and understand each other. Its common for staff of Skills Plus to hold conversations with people walking along the road while practically inside our building. Maybe its the language? Somehow, i don't think this would work as well with English...

Also, Ugandan Gender Relations have a very long way to go. Someone (a male Ugandan) tried to describe to me how in the villages, "sometimes the woman wanted to be beaten".

And people here can be very superstitious. A man told me today all about the reality of demons and possession.

Success! I helped Caesar get an email address. Will facebook be next?

My organization is having a farewell dinner for me. Yesterday, we went to reserve the hen we are going to slaughter for the occasion. Joyful.

Finally, when trying to find a boda boda late at night, just look for the bike with the smallest driver.

Peace.

No comments: