Monday, June 23, 2008

Bugembe

Well, I'm in Uganda. I've been here for about 9 days, since the 14th. The food is good, though the meat is very chewy. Chapati is a poor man's naan, but it's pretty good. Matooke is good as well, especially with g-nut sauce. and no, that is not meant to be raunchy.

I am staying with a very kind family, the Kadamas. The Father, Caesar can't be older than 30. He has a very high pitched laugh and loves to play pool. I went to the pool hall by the night market and it was packed with maybe 15-20 Ugandans all focused on the sole table. I put some money down and everyone thought it was hilarious that I wanted to play. When I actually won the first game the entire room was buzzing that a "mzungu" could play pool. When I won the second I heard comments that "they play ok pool in America". Then I went and lost the third. But I think I won their respect. I will see them again.

No sickness yet. No Malaria. I did take a boat/hike trip by the Nile at a place called Bujagali Falls. I also took my first bucket bath by candlelight. It was good.

The soil in Uganda is very very red. My tennis shoes are becoming red as a result.

No salsa so far. I am still searching.

The night market in Bugembe is excellent. Confusing Lusoga words with Lugandan makes me feel stupid at times.

I will try to update more. Jinja is fun and a bit of a tourist town.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

jon! love the blog. the pool game story is great. good luck finding salsa! miss you :)