Monday, June 30, 2008

No Malaria Yet...

But I have succeeded in getting Mango Flies. These fun creatures apparently love to lay eggs in clothes as they are drying. The larvae then find juicy meat (my lower back) and then make themselves a home. I was host to three such creatures until about two hours ago when a kind doctor removed them. Of course I asked to see them, and trust me they were pretty disgusting. The biggest on was the size of my pointer finger-nail and about 1/3 of the width. Not very comforting to know that these critters had made my back their home, but fortunately there is no lasting damage.

Last week at Skills Plus, I conducted a needs assessment of the organization, trying to note both its strengths and weaknesses. This week I have begun creating a work plan to deal with what I have perceived as areas where I can help the organization. I think I will be helping them create databases of their clients and and excel spreadsheets of their finances (they now have poorly kept records that it would take forever to answer a question as simple as how many people are currently in their computer program?)

I will be personally helping to create these items as well as training people in how to create and maintain them. I also hope to hold a grant writing workshop and leave print materials that will help the organization apply for grants in the future. The organization has many good programs and seems to have its head on its shoulders but it lacks finances in every area. Being able to document what they do and successfully apply for grants will help them tremendously.

The two Kadama kids have slowly taken a liking to me. Ivy (8 months) at first was terrified of me because I don't think she had ever seen a white person before. I think she thought I was a monster. But she is warming up to me now and really enjoys playing with my pens and pieces of paper. Evan, 3.5, (pronounced Ivan. In Lusoga they pronounce 'e' as 'i') practically worships me, but he speaks English worse that I speak Lusoga. I think he at first thought I spoke Lusoga too because I would greet the family in Lusoga. He loves to jabber to me in Lusoga, but I have no idea what he is saying. I know he likes me because he tries to imitate literally everything I do from taking anti-malarial pills (I stopped him), to reading books (he can't speak English much less read the books I brought), to writing in a notebook (I gave him a sheet of paper...he's too little to write).

I found out today that Notre Dame has truly invaded Uganda. There are four former Notre Dame students living in my village working with the congregation of the Holy Cross in Bugembe. I know them through people (mostly Mangulo), but I think people know Patrick Corrigan? I don't, but he is apparently nearby with three others. They have been in Uganda for one year and are staying for one more. I'm sure I will run into them again.

I need to go, Caesar is done with pool and I need to head back to the house. Sula Bulunge!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

aw! little kid sounds cute. also, i cant believe you said he is 3.5. haha you dork. sounds like things are going well for you, jk! miss you back here in the states. if you run into p corrigan again tell him i say hi.