Tuesday, June 24, 2008

osibye otya ssebo?

Everything is good and well in Uganda. I have settled into the village of Bugembe with a very nice family, the Kadama's. Caesar is the husband, Lydia the wife, and they have two kids Evan (3.5) and Ivy (8 months). It is a bit different from Columbus, but it is home for the next eight weeks. My house is without basic services (electricity, indoor plumbing, running water) but mostly because the family is renovating the house. They were building the home slowly over the past five years and when it was close to finished they moved in, even though it didn't have everything. However, there is power maybe 200 yards from the house - Caesar said that they need 3 more power line polls for it to reach his house at a cost of maybe 2.5 million Ugandan shillings (i think its 1700 USH to a Dollar).

The food is good but very different. Lots of starches including Matooke (cooked mashed bananas), Posho, rice, and Cassava. They are literally throwing food at me, so I don't know if I will meet my Dad's prediction of losing weight while in Uganda.

My internship has started well, though it has been frustrating at times. My first day I was handed a two page sheet where I was addressed as "your honor". It went on to describe some of the things the board of trustees felt I could accomplish during my 8 week internship. It was a bit of insanity as things ranged from "Address the issue of the homeless" to "seek and tap some American celebrities to visit our website and the organization". Needless to say much of the first day was spent with me explaining that these are just not possible for me to do. I have skills but I am not a miracle worker. This leads into another issue that I am often given much more respect and credit than I deserve. Because I'm from the U.S., people automatically assume an an expert on everything, which is just not true.

I watched the Uganda vs. Angola football match yesterday. It ended in a 0-0 tie but I watched it in a local "cinema", where there was a TV smaller than the one in our living room and probably there was 75 people packed in a room meant for 40. It was good though.

Oh, I almost forgot. You can call me if you wish. my cell phone is 0773707675.

Also, My dad is now blogging about chess. here is his blog: http://www.jeromegambit.blogspot.com/

No comments: